In this series of articles we will look at some of the basic tools that experts attribute to technical optimization. Namely, what needs to be done on the website (blog, online store), which is further affected — directly or indirectly — in the promotion of the site?
It is assumed that you have full access to your website, you can add new pages, modify the code to experiment with design.
No matter what language the website is written, or what is the designer/CMS you use – recommendations universal.
1. Install Google Analytics.
A free tool to analyze visitor statistics, conversion and site performance. The latest innovations in Analytics allow you to track the statistics of visits to the site in real time.
2. Choose keywords for the main pages.
For this task there are two basic tools:
Initial analysis can be reduced to a small list of 10-20 essential words/phrases. Over time this list will change – something will cease to be relevant, and some words, on the contrary, will enter into sphere of your interests.
3. Do on-page SEO.
Based on your research from step 2, let’s describe the page so that search engines “want” to show your website in their results.
Here the task is not to use as many keywords on the page and in the tags. Typically, one page – one keyword, plus a few related.
There are 6 basic elements, where to use keywords:
- The address (URL) of the page.
- The Title tag: 60-70 characters (including spaces).
- Meta tag Description: 155-160 characters.
- Headings and subheadings in the text. The code is H1-H4.
- Description of the images on the page: the ALT tag.
- Text, also known as “content”.
4. Make a site map.
For this we need to collect all pages into one file: sitemap.txt or sitemap.xml and pour it in the root directory, that is mysite.com/sitemap.xml
5. Add the site to service webmasters.
What you should do first:
- To add already created a site map.
- To specify the geographic affiliation of the website.
- To specify preferences for a domain name: with www or without it.
- To Check Instant Preview.
- Check that file exists robots.txt.
6. Screw the “social”.
Add social buttons, widgets, plugins: Vkontakte, Twitter, Facebook, Google+. Social signals play a role in search engine optimization, but even more interesting is the presence of these elements on the website, if you have content that you want to mention in the friends list on not only your friends and family.
Note that these widgets will affect the page loading speed and too often simply lead visitors from the site. Are you ready for this?
7. Make technical testing.
Check the speed of the main pages in Google Page Speed. Good performance will be from 70 to 100. If you have the figures below, then it makes sense to talk to your hosting company.
Look at the reports of the various parsers and validators, for example:
The obtained statistics will be the benchmark for future developments on the site.
8. Write a plan for the creation of expertise or the thematic content.
The static page is good. But with the advent of regular, quality content updates on the website, including using the blog, you can significantly increase your chances for participation in top positions in search results (and also in the friends list on).